Tuesday, August 10, 2010

To Mexico and back again...

Well we made it...I'm not going to sugar coat it; living in Phoenix we are constantly barraged with the going ons in Mexico along the border and frankly I was just a {smidgen} scared of venturing into the country.  But I was pleasantly surprised. 

The husband and I landed in Cancun on a Wednesday to 90 degree temperatures and 100% humidity.  At first it was a nice change from 108 dry heat of the Sonoran Desert.  Waiting for our transport to Playa del Carmen we enjoyed an adult beverage from the over-priced airport cantina under wispy palms, relishing the soft ocean breeze.  The transportation representative was reassuring us that it would only be two more minutes before our resort van would be there to pick us up; this would be our first taste to just how different time is viewed from country to country.  Two minutes passed by, then ten and fifteen.  "Just two minutes more, Senor," we were assured.  My drink was gone in the first two minutes and now I was left with a lime and melting ice, but we were not let down and soon we were being ushered to our awaiting van and swept off to our resort, a mere 50 minutes from the Cancun Airport. 

Upon reaching our resort we were met with friendly faces and some sort of appletini...I think.  Another {short} two minutes and were being led to our room.  I was impressed by the room, albeit the bed was a bit hard, but after a scrumptious dinner filled with Italian fare of linguine and clams and a couple more beverages any bed was a welcomed sight. 

The next morning after breakfast we made our way out to the Caribbean to catch some rays and enjoy some reading.  This didn't last very long as the pages in my book begin to look as if someone had given them a perm.  Note to self:  Paper and humidity do not mix.  I would have to finish the book I renewed from the library, four times to date, another time.  This did, however, free our time to enjoy the "tranquility pool" on the roof where little did I know I would incur the most epic sunburn of all time. 

Yes, my nose was purple, but that does not compare to the disaster that used to be my chest.  It was so burned it was white.  I didn't even know this could happen! Regardless, after encountering the dry, freezing air on the plane coming home, my skin has begun to look like a broiled chicken thigh, the kind with the crispy skin. 

With a burn of such epic proportions, I felt it was important to try and avoid the sun as much as possible for the rest of the trip, but we were in Mexico.  Outside of the water the sun and humidity started to become a little oppressive, so I found myself applying sunscreen every 15 or so minutes and submerging my body as far as I could into the water.  I managed to not re-burn the already too burned portions of my body and I am content with that.

Surprisingly I made it through the wedding with only several people commenting on the unhealthy hue of my skin.  I must give credit where due and most were quite couth simply stating, "Oh, my, you got a little pink, dear."  Indeed I did. 

For the rest of the trip I managed to stay virtually unscathed, outside of the infamous toe stub that landed me a date with a paramedic.  Just for the record, it wasn't at all serious; I think that all other countries must view Americans as a liability.  I feel silly that I was afraid to visit this country - I even ventured off the resort and into the marketplace.  If I would have skipped it, I would have missed a very beautiful wedding and missed out on seeing what a wonderful country Mexico really is.  Next time I visit Playa however, I think I will skip the resort, stay in the shopping district and visit in the winter. 

No comments: