Thursday, October 2, 2008

At the End of Every Summer...

Fiance and I fall victim to the last stretch of temperatures above the century mark and swear off Arizona forever. This summer is no different. As the temperatures continue to climb above 100 degrees, I become especially nostalgic. Dreaming of Missoula: the rain through November, and the snow through May...shit, I even miss the inversions. I miss walking to school every day...even when my scarf became rock-hard with frozen breath (sounds a bit nasty), and the top of my legs were numb and frozen to my jeans, and the smell of the UC at Christmastime. Frankly, I miss my friends, I miss my family, I miss just having some sort of weather. So now it comes time again to start looking at other places to live. Sure we have a mortgage we can't be rid of, two car payments that are outrageously expensive, and two dogs and a cat (who would love a yard). Moving isn't exactly practical at this point in our lives, but for Pete's sake - people are not meant to live in this oppressive heat!

Christmastime and Thanksgiving are not meant to be enjoyed with a Corona at a pool party, and summers are not supposed to be passed away holed up in the house. One thing...I have to give Arizona credit for it's amazing winters...and after Christmas had passed I would gladly spend my days in the lukewarm days of winter...but the summer...no matter what, it never ...never... will be enjoyable. Trust me, I've tried...

1 comment:

Holly said...

We too are looking to move back to that wonderful place called Montana. We don't have anything holding us here except for those pesky credit card bills and my seemingly decent paying job. Otherwise we'd move in a heartbeat. Our pains are the exact opposite...the winters here are unbelievable cold! No one in their right mind would spend time in a place that doesn't reach above 0 degrees for an entire week (even during the day!!!) I feel ya!